Old New Guy testing the water

Old New Guy testing the water

PostPosted by dennisfear » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:13 pm

Hi,

I was involved with a couple of interesting artificial intelligence projects back in the early 1970's as an undergraduate at the University of Florida, written in APL on an IBM 360 mainframe. Those projects impressed me with how uniquely valuable a language APL is, because it vastly multiplied the computational efficiency of that old war-horse. At the time, personal computers did not even exist (I spent $700 on an HP scientific calculator, a half summer's labor, and I waited a year for the price to drop from $1500), so there was no practical way to pursue the language after I left school.

I am disabled due to a decade-long bout with cancer, which further delayed my planned investigations into the state of the art in Linear Algebra programming. I have a number of independent research projects I'd like to initiate, using matrix modeling of complex systems. I'm new to this site, and will be browsing for similar projects.

I'm wondering, has the Hardware and Software technology yet reached a stage where the sort of massive computations I have in mind, such as modeling the behavior of a colony of bees, is possible on a PC? I'll be reading up on NBBS here on the site, as I haven't so far, so I expect to get some of that answer there.

If anyone is interested in a little history of the language, I'd be delighted to describe the projects I worked on back in the early days, which were an interactive converstational creativity augmentation program called "Ideas", and a purely mathematical non-learning computer chess program of my own creation, which was never completed, but then even in APL it would never have run on the 360.
dennisfear

PostPosted by forummaster » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:04 am

{140.337}dennisfear wrote:
{140.337}dennisfear wrote:
Hi,

I was involved with a couple of interesting artificial intelligence projects back in the early 1970's as an undergraduate at the University of Florida, written in APL on an IBM 360 mainframe. Those projects impressed me with how uniquely valuable a language APL is, because it vastly multiplied the computational efficiency of that old war-horse. At the time, personal computers did not even exist (I spent $700 on an HP scientific calculator, a half summer's labor, and I waited a year for the price to drop from $1500), so there was no practical way to pursue the language after I left school.

I am disabled due to a decade-long bout with cancer, which further delayed my planned investigations into the state of the art in Linear Algebra programming. I have a number of independent research projects I'd like to initiate, using matrix modeling of complex systems. I'm new to this site, and will be browsing for similar projects.

I'm wondering, has the Hardware and Software technology yet reached a stage where the sort of massive computations I have in mind, such as modeling the behavior of a colony of bees, is possible on a PC? I'll be reading up on NBBS here on the site, as I haven't so far, so I expect to get some of that answer there.

If anyone is interested in a little history of the language, I'd be delighted to describe the projects I worked on back in the early days, which were an interactive converstational creativity augmentation program called "Ideas", and a purely mathematical non-learning computer chess program of my own creation, which was never completed, but then even in APL it would never have run on the 360.

Great to have you back!
This forum is devoted mainly to the NARS2000 project. For a more heavily trafficked forum, with many old timers such as we are, you might want to look into the newsgroup comp.lang.apl.
forummaster

Return to Entering APL Characters