Getting Started

Extending our reach...

Getting Started

PostPosted by forummaster » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:33 pm

Recently, I've been able to run NARS2000 on a Linux system thanks to Wine, a translation layer. I'd like to see just how many Linux and POSIX-compatible systems on which it'll run.

For details on how to make this work, see

wiki.nars2000.org/index.php/Platforms

Please post your results to this forum.

forummaster

trying NARS2000 under OS/2

PostPosted by dhdurgee » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:21 pm

Per your request I just tried running the latest NARS2000 binary with the existing OS/2 Wine equivalent. Unfortunately, the Odin package has not been updated since 2006 and is out of sync with the latest Wine code. When I attempted to run NARS2000 I got a pop-up window about a non-existant api "UnregisterWait" being called and offered the usual "Abort, Retry, Ignore" choices. I ignored it and then received a pop-up window "Unable to find APPDATA in the environment" with only an "OK" button followed by an exit.

I tried again with debugging options set and found two other non-existant apis called: "RegisterWaitForSingleObject" and "PrintDlgExA"

I have posted a request in the appropriate OS/2 newsgroup to see if someone can update Odin or port Wine, but until that happens I cannot expect to be able to run NARS2000 under OS/2 unless the above noted missing apis can be avoided in your code.

Dave

dhdurgee

PostPosted by forummaster » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:00 pm

{16.25}dhdurgee wrote:
{16.25}dhdurgee wrote:
Per your request I just tried running the latest NARS2000 binary with the existing OS/2 Wine equivalent. Unfortunately, the Odin package has not been updated since 2006 and is out of sync with the latest Wine code. When I attempted to run NARS2000 I got a pop-up window about a non-existant api "UnregisterWait" being called and offered the usual "Abort, Retry, Ignore" choices. I ignored it and then received a pop-up window "Unable to find APPDATA in the environment" with only an "OK" button followed by an exit.
I tried again with debugging options set and found two other non-existant apis called: "RegisterWaitForSingleObject" and "PrintDlgExA"
I have posted a request in the appropriate OS/2 newsgroup to see if someone can update Odin or port Wine, but until that happens I cannot expect to be able to run NARS2000 under OS/2 unless the above noted missing apis can be avoided in your code.
Dave

The first two APIs are necessary in order to manage threads -- separate execution contexts to allow multiple things to happen asynchronously; you won't get far without them. The last one is needed only when printing.

I don't have any suggestions other than to try compiling Wine on OS/2 and see what happens.

forummaster

Return to Linux and Mac OS