Using wine for testing on linux

Extending our reach...

Using wine for testing on linux

PostPosted by Marv Smoak » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:02 pm

For testing NARS2000, I've installed wine and now need some info on how NARS2000 uses wine. I've never used wine before and my last use of mswindows was win3.1. Used that until recently when the machine died. So I have some knowledge of dos filesystem. And by looking at the files that wine made on my linux system, see a c: drive, etc.

I'm hoping that someone here can give me overview of where NARS2000 stores files, what files I may need to edit, and how to capture errors when they occur. Pointers to where to find this info, if it exists now, will be greatly appreciated.

The system I'm using for testing has fedora fc7; NARS2000 runs on the system but I've already had it lockup a couple of times. How's the best way to trace and report what happened.

Marv Smoak

PostPosted by forummaster » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:45 pm

{20.39}Marv Smoak wrote:
{20.39}Marv Smoak wrote:
For testing NARS2000, I've installed wine and now need some info on how NARS2000 uses wine. I've never used wine before and my last use of mswindows was win3.1. Used that until recently when the machine died. So I have some knowledge of dos filesystem. And by looking at the files that wine made on my linux system, see a c: drive, etc.

I'm hoping that someone here can give me overview of where NARS2000 stores files, what files I may need to edit, and how to capture errors when they occur. Pointers to where to find this info, if it exists now, will be greatly appreciated.

The system I'm using for testing has fedora fc7; NARS2000 runs on the system but I've already had it lockup a couple of times. How's the best way to trace and report what happened.

NARS2000 stores files on drive C: which Wine maps to /home/<username>/.wine/drive_c/. From that point on, there is an initial setup of files and directories made by Wine, but any application is free to change it. The only files NARS2000 writes out are its initializatrion file and its workspaces. The (currently fixed) place where we write out the initialization file (NARS2000.ini) is to /home/<username>/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/<username>/Application Data/NARS2000. Workspace may be written out anywhere under drive_c by including leading text in the )SAVE command, however the default place to save workspaces is the directory workspaces in the above directory where the ini file is stored.

When an error occurs it is usually one of two types:

1. A crash, in which case you should see a Crash Window and be given an opportunity to copy the data in the window to another file.

2. An incorrect result.

In either case, write down what you were doing just prior to the error, as well as attempt to recreate the error. If you can, before triggering the error, save the workspace and include the workspace in an error report to the Testing forum. Eventually, I'll set up a bug reporting mechanism such as Bugzilla, but for the moment, report bugs in these forums.

Ideally, an error report will include

1. A workspace to )LOAD.

2. A description of what to type to recreate the error.

3. If there was a crash, the text from the Crash Window.

forummaster

Return to Linux and Mac OS