GUI

Don't hold back

GUI

PostPosted by bopdji » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:09 pm

Why are there no fuctions that create Windows, buttons, menus, listboxes, etc ?
bopdji

Re: GUI

PostPosted by forummaster » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:00 pm

That's a good question. There certainly is a need. Do you have a preferred design?
forummaster

PostPosted by bopdji » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:38 am

It might look as the easiest approach and it probably is, if you connect to Windows APIs.
There is a distinct shift towards Linux and now Android OS.

wxWidgets or Nokia's QT are, I think very robust multi-OS platforms and have very good GUI.
I have used wxWidgets based GUI in another language and can say clearly that it is very good and under constant development and support. The latest version is 2.9.x and it is said to be totally Unicode. I don't know whether it is utf-8 or utf-16. It is unlikely to be just LE16 of Microsoft. In any case, there is already a plethera of public domain utf-8 to LE16 and vice versa so wxWidgets would be a better choice because it is identical for Linux and Windows.

The above arguments probably apply to QT as well. Neither of these two have touched Android OS yet, but they are likely to very soon.
bopdji

PostPosted by forummaster » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:00 am

Thanks -- I'll take a look at wxWidgets. Would you be interested in doing some programming to help make this happen?
forummaster

PostPosted by bopdji » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:36 am

I am good in Assembly language, but extremely weak in C and C++. If you lay down some start or one or two connects I might try and copy your method for more of the wxWidget APIs.
Example: If you create the constants, etc and and the connection to say Creating a Window, I will try and add other functions based on the model you have provided. I have the time.
In any case, I am glad you are choosing wxWidgets.
bopdji

Return to Open Discussion