Using one's own IME (in Wine)

Using one's own IME (in Wine)

PostPosted by tobia » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:09 am

I have my own keyboard layout that I've designed to incorporate APL symbols with my national characters.

It's a layout based on Programmer Dvorak. In case you're interested, I took my touch-typing layout of choice (Prg. Dvorak), added my national accented characters on their respective characters (Alt-a → à, etc.) and then added APL symbols on the remaining free Alt- and Shift-Alt- combinations. On Mac OS X there's a program called Ukelele that makes it quite easy to make custom keyboard layouts.

It works perfectly on all OS X apps and also on Windows apps run with Wine, such as the nagware version of Dyalog.

But I'm unable to use it with NARS2000. Nars seems to use its own Qwerty keyboard layout, completely ignoring my Pgr. Dvorak-based one. I'm lead to think the issue lies with Nars, and not with Wine, because the little textbox in the File Open or Save dialogs accepts input using my layout, whereas every other textbox in the program ignores it, including the main workspace window.

Is there some configuration that I can set to disable NARS2000's own keyboard definition and just accept Unicode characters from my IME?
tobia

Re: Using one's own IME (in Wine)

PostPosted by forummaster » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:22 pm

tobia wrote:I have my own keyboard layout that I've designed to incorporate APL symbols with my national characters.

It's a layout based on Programmer Dvorak. In case you're interested, I took my touch-typing layout of choice (Prg. Dvorak), added my national accented characters on their respective characters (Alt-a → à, etc.) and then added APL symbols on the remaining free Alt- and Shift-Alt- combinations. On Mac OS X there's a program called Ukelele that makes it quite easy to make custom keyboard layouts.

It works perfectly on all OS X apps and also on Windows apps run with Wine, such as the nagware version of Dyalog.

But I'm unable to use it with NARS2000. Nars seems to use its own Qwerty keyboard layout, completely ignoring my Pgr. Dvorak-based one. I'm lead to think the issue lies with Nars, and not with Wine, because the little textbox in the File Open or Save dialogs accepts input using my layout, whereas every other textbox in the program ignores it, including the main workspace window.

Is there some configuration that I can set to disable NARS2000's own keyboard definition and just accept Unicode characters from my IME?

That's a good point. I designed the keyboard code in NARS2000 that way because almost no one has a usable layout outside the program, so I had to do it entirely inside.

For the moment, you can define your own APL keyboard layout easily enough to match exactly your external layout using the built-in Keyboard Customization feature. Click on Edit | Customize | Keyboards. Choose a layout similar to yours and click on "Copy" button and name your layout. Then click on the "Make Active" button to activate it.

Now define each key combination as you like it, and click on "Apply" or "OK" when you are done. The layout is automatically saved when you close the entire program and then re-loaded when you start up again.
forummaster

Return to Entering APL Characters