Getting Started

If only the compiler did what I wanted it to do...

Getting Started

PostPosted by forummaster » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:46 am

I'm hoping many of you will want to change the program to include your favorite feature, squash a bug, or just see how easy it is to make your own copy. To that end, I've written initial documentation of the build process in Building An Executable. Please review the instructions there and make changes to it to reflect missing or incomplete descriptions, as well as to extend the build process to other compilers (DJGPP, Cygwin, MinGW, etc.).

forummaster

building under Linux or OS/2

PostPosted by dhdurgee » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:59 pm

Have you found anyone yet who can develop the scripts to permit compiling NARS2000 under Linux and OS/2? I have a build environment installed with GCC 3.3.5 and have been able to build several binaries from source that is ready to compile under Linux here. These are likely small/simpler programs, but then again the NARS2000 binary is of similar size.

What is missing from the NARS2000 package is a configure script to set things up and a GNU Make 3.81 compatible makefile. I don't have the resources/talents to build these myself, but I will be happy to test them in my environment once they are available.

I suspect that if a stand-alone binary is to be build for Linux or OS/2 there will likely need to be code incorporated from the Wine tree. I see you have a Wine directory of some sort already in your source tree, so perhaps you have anticipated that.

Until something changes the only way I can run NARS2000 is by using a V/PC running W2K.

Dave

dhdurgee

Getting Started

PostPosted by forummaster » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:34 pm

{3.26}dhdurgee wrote:
{3.26}dhdurgee wrote:
Have you found anyone yet who can develop the scripts to permit compiling NARS2000 under Linux and OS/2? I have a build environment installed with GCC 3.3.5 and have been able to build several binaries from source that is ready to compile under Linux here. These are likely small/simpler programs, but then again the NARS2000 binary is of similar size.
What is missing from the NARS2000 package is a configure script to set things up and a GNU Make 3.81 compatible makefile. I don't have the resources/talents to build these myself, but I will be happy to test them in my environment once they are available.
I suspect that if a stand-alone binary is to be build for Linux or OS/2 there will likely need to be code incorporated from the Wine tree. I see you have a Wine directory of some sort already in your source tree, so perhaps you have anticipated that.
Until something changes the only way I can run NARS2000 is by using a V/PC running W2K.
Dave

I might be able to get a GCC-compatible makefile working and then link with winelib to see if that works under Linux, however without an OS/2 system, I won't be able to tackle that.

So much to do, so little time. This is why we need to get more developers involved.

forummaster

Getting Started

PostPosted by dhdurgee » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:35 am

{3.29}forummaster wrote:
{3.29}forummaster wrote:
I might be able to get a GCC-compatible makefile working and then link with winelib to see if that works under Linux, however without an OS/2 system, I won't be able to tackle that.
So much to do, so little time. This is why we need to get more developers involved.

If you get a GCC compatible makefile I will be happy to test it on my OS/2 system, but obviously the build will not finish unless and until the winelib is available for OS/2 as well. Nobody has stepped forward yet to deal with it, so I have no idea when or if to expcet it to be available.

dhdurgee

Getting Started

PostPosted by jdeperi » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:06 pm

Why is linking with winelib necessary? What would be involved in getting NARS2000 to build under Linux natively, without Wine or anything else Windows-related?

I'm interested in getting involved but would like to know what other efforts are currently afoot, and how best to proceed.

Thanks,

Jonathan
jdeperi

Getting Started

PostPosted by forummaster » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:20 am

{3.229}jdeperi wrote:
{3.229}jdeperi wrote:
Why is linking with winelib necessary? What would be involved in getting NARS2000 to build under Linux natively, without Wine or anything else Windows-related?

I'm interested in getting involved but would like to know what other efforts are currently afoot, and how best to proceed.

Linking with Winelib is necessary because they provide a bridge between Windows and Linux operating systems. If you accept the goal of wanting to run on multiple platforms, then either you write to a common spec with an underlying translation layer for all platforms, or write to one of the target platforms and using a translation layer for the others. I happen to choose the latter.

There is no good solution for everyone. Either you have to learn how to program for the other platform (and it could go either way) or everyone has to learn how to program for a new platform.
forummaster

Getting Started

PostPosted by fausap » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:17 pm

{3.3}forummaster wrote:
{3.3}forummaster wrote:
I'm hoping many of you will want to change the program to include your favorite feature, squash a bug, or just see how easy it is to make your own copy. To that end, I've written initial documentation of the build process in Building An Executable. Please review the instructions there and make changes to it to reflect missing or incomplete descriptions, as well as to extend the build process to other compilers (DJGPP, Cygwin, MinGW, etc.).

I suppose the page is a little bit outdated, cause two new env vars are needed MPFR and MPIR. I downloaded the developer file mpilibs.zip but there are only the library files. The makefile needs also the include files that are missing from the archive.

Please, could you help me ?

thanks,

Fausto

fausap

Getting Started

PostPosted by forummaster » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:42 am

{3.296}fausap wrote:
{3.296}fausap wrote:

{3.3}forummaster wrote:
{3.3}forummaster wrote:
I'm hoping many of you will want to change the program to include your favorite feature, squash a bug, or just see how easy it is to make your own copy.  To that end, I've written initial documentation of the build process in Building An Executable.  Please review the instructions there and make changes to it to reflect missing or incomplete descriptions, as well as to extend the build process to other compilers (DJGPP, Cygwin, MinGW, etc.).

I suppose the page is a little bit outdated, cause two new env vars are needed MPFR and MPIR. I downloaded the developer file mpilibs.zip but there are only the library files. The makefile needs also the include files that are missing from the archive.

Yes, it is outdated and I apologize for that. Give me a few days to update it and let's work together to get you started.
forummaster

Getting Started

PostPosted by fausap » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:14 pm

{3.297}forummaster wrote:
{3.297}forummaster wrote:
{3.296}fausap wrote:
{3.296}fausap wrote:

{3.3}forummaster wrote:
{3.3}forummaster wrote:

Yes, it is outdated and I apologize for that. Give me a few days to update it and let's work together to get you started.

thanks a lot :-)

fausap

Getting Started

PostPosted by yamagoya » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:14 pm

Hello,
I just checked out the source code and tried build and also ran into the MPIR/MPFR problem so I too could use some guidance or updated build instructions. Don't mean to be pushy or anything, I know there is not enough hours in a day...

yamagoya

Next

Return to Building The Executable