NARS on Ubuntu Hardy

Extending our reach...

NARS on Ubuntu Hardy

PostPosted by romilly » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:45 am

I'm running Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04.02) desktop with current updates applied.

I followed the installation instructions for Wine/NARS. First NARS startup reported a missing audio driver, and the display was strange. APL characters were only rendered correctly when text was highlit.

I quit and visited the Wine menus. There was an option to configure Wine. I selected the audio pane and accepted the suggested audio driver choice.

When I restarted NARS, all was fine apart from a prompt requesting permission to install a font, which I allowed. There are now no warnings on startup and APL chars display fine.

I'll repeat the installation process on a fresh VMWare Virtual Machine and capture the results in more detail, but hopefully this is enough to encourage Ubuntu users to try out the software.

Nice work!

Romilly

romilly

PostPosted by forummaster » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:10 am

{40.84}romilly wrote:
{40.84}romilly wrote:
I'm running Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04.02) desktop with current updates applied.

I followed the installation instructions for Wine/NARS. First NARS startup reported a missing audio driver, and the display was strange. APL characters were only rendered correctly when text was highlit.

I quit and visited the Wine menus. There was an option to configure Wine. I selected the audio pane and accepted the suggested audio driver choice.

When I restarted NARS, all was fine apart from a prompt requesting permission to install a font, which I allowed. There are now no warnings on startup and APL chars display fine.

I'll repeat the installation process on a fresh VMWare Virtual Machine and capture the results in more detail, but hopefully this is enough to encourage Ubuntu users to try out the software.

Nice work!

Romilly

Excellent! The only puzzle in my mind is why the first time you ran NARS you didn't see the prompt to install the APL font shipped with the product. Otherwise, it reads like once the Wine installation issues were resolved, all went according to plan.
forummaster

Wine/nars2000 on ubuntu 10.01 LTS

PostPosted by rssnow » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:08 am

I first tried it out on XP. Then rebooted into ubuntu, and installed Wine, and downloaded the program and ran
wine NARS2000.exe it configured wine automatically, installed the font, and it works.

Richard Snow
rssnow1@gmail.com

I'm interested in trying to read the source code so I downloaded that as well. I am fairly proficient in C, a novice at APL, though
I did get a function defined and saved a workspace and reloaded it.
rssnow

PostPosted by gar37bic » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:15 pm

I'm running Ubuntu Lucid (10.0.4). I extracted the file into a directory I created, ~/.wine/Program Files/NARS/ and then I clicked on the .exe. It asked me if I wanted to install the font, then if I wanted to also copy it to the fonts folder, then ran perfectly I did not look at the Windows install instructions - if I had, perhaps it would now show up in the Wine Programs menu. I may do something about that eventually.
gar37bic

Return to Linux and Mac OS