External Data sources

Let it all hang out

External Data sources

PostPosted by c.annoni » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:29 am

I'm trying to (re)discover APL after more than 20 years.
I'm trying to understand commands and functions available in NARS2000 to manipulate external data sources (files, database).
I search in wiki.nars2000.org but without success.
Could anyone give me some suggestions? Thanks
c.annoni

PostPosted by forummaster » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:42 pm

{41.87}c.annoni wrote:
{41.87}c.annoni wrote:
I'm trying to (re)discover APL after more than 20 years.
I'm trying to understand commands and functions available in NARS2000 to manipulate external data sources (files, database).
I search in wiki.nars2000.org but without success.
Could anyone give me some suggestions? Thanks

Thanks for your interest in NARS2000.

Communicating with external sources is on the list of necessary features, and is coming up soon. So far, this has been a one-person project, so unfortunately I can't give you an estimate of when it'll be ready.
forummaster

PostPosted by c.annoni » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:37 pm

Thanks a lot!
c.annoni

hello to all from berlin

PostPosted by Manoli » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:35 am

after working with several apl-generations in former times and having a long pause of about 10 years in programming i just discovered this apl project here.

i am very happy to see that this is (and hopefully will stay as) a non-commercial project.

unfortunately, i cannot help programming the interpreter in compiled languages, because i don't have a development system in c or any other compiled language.

i only have an old version of apl2000 as the only possibility to write programs for my own.

now my idea for file access functions:

what do you think about implementing a low level function like []wcall as in apl+win by apl2000? this could be a beginning for us.

in this apl+win there is a possibility to edit a file called aplw.ini, which lets the user define windows-api functions to handle with the parameters of the functions in any dll.

it would be nice to give your apl-interpreter the capability of "understanding" such a syntax.

if you are able to program the interpreter for this facility, i can help our project by writing several apl-functions for file access and give them to the world.

i am thinking of a function syntax like " []wcall 'FindFirstFile' searchpattern buffer " and other functions.

Have fun with APL

Manoli
Manoli

PostPosted by forummaster » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:02 pm

{41.136}Manoli wrote:
{41.136}Manoli wrote:
what do you think about implementing a low level function like []wcall as in apl+win by apl2000? this could be a beginning for us.

in this apl+win there is a possibility to edit a file called aplw.ini, which lets the user define windows-api functions to handle with the parameters of the functions in any dll.

it would be nice to give your apl-interpreter the capability of "understanding" such a syntax.

if you are able to program the interpreter for this facility, i can help our project by writing several apl-functions for file access and give them to the world.

i am thinking of a function syntax like " []wcall 'FindFirstFile' searchpattern buffer " and other functions.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Interesting idea. I was thinking of using namespaces to provide access to file functions as in

#.⎕file.native.create 'foo'

but using something like you propose might work as well to get things started. At the moment, I'm working on improving Syntax Analysis, so these ideas will have to wait.

Thanks for taking the time to help design this implementation.
forummaster

Reading external data is important

PostPosted by bobcyr » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:58 pm

NTIE would be ok with me.

I would certainly like to manipulate my data. Of course a tie-in with my databases would also be nice.

Currently I use J with my data. It may be fast and powerful, but I find APL easier to read and maintain.

In my view, NARS2000 is very expressive, it's great work.
bobcyr

Return to Open Discussion