NARS2000-64 is GREAT on a Microsoft Surface Pro 4

NARS2000-64 is GREAT on a Microsoft Surface Pro 4

PostPosted by FDA OSInet » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:34 am

The virtual keyboard allows to type a lot of APL characters, and the response time with the Core i5 is just wonderful. Much better than on the Selectric 2741 terminal connected to a 360/91 I began APL with.
FDA OSInet

Re: NARS2000-64 is GREAT on a Microsoft Surface Pro 4

PostPosted by forummaster » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:16 pm

Excellent! Does this tablet have an actual keyboard as well?
forummaster

PostPosted by FDA OSInet » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:29 pm

The Surface Pro 4 is not shipped with the keyboard here in France, but it is available as an option, and as the tablet is a bit heavier than I thought I guessed it was a good idea to order it after all. It should arrive this week.

I encourage all of you having access to a Surface to try NARS2000 on it : it is just magic ! With the performance of any processor it is shipped with (mine is a Core i5), the machine answers instantly to any demo line. And the ability to use big fonts is perfect to use ut with fingers.

I would just love to try IBM's APL2 GRAPHPAK on it, but unfortunately, for me, it is too late : I am now acquainted to the NARS2000 keyboard (which is much more rational for the French keyboard as far as mnemonics are considered) and I am afraid I shall not be able to ever get back to the IBM keyboard.

I have a free copy of DYALOG APL on my lounge machine, but I am not sure that they would send me a free copy again for every machine I own, and as I only need performance on that machine and not on the Surface, I shall stick to NARS2000 on the latter.

Are you sure IBM would not be happy to give you some of their supplied workspaces ? The more people use APL at home, the more they are likely to sell some enterprise versions later. I am pretty sure a win-win cooperation with them (or with Dyalog, who knows) could be at least attempted. I knew some APL people in Santa Teresa (555 Bailey Avenue), like Nancy Wheeler and Jim Brown and they seemed very open to a lot of things. You probably already saw them in some APL congresses, anyway.

Congratulations for that magnificent work. I installed the latest build of NARS2000 while writing this post. Not tried it yet ;)

François
FDA OSInet

PostPosted by FDA OSInet » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:41 pm

By the way... Bill Gates dreamt about it, you did it :

"We have written 6800 BASIC, and are writing 8080 APL and 6800 APL, but there is very little incentive to make this software available to hobbyists." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Letter_to_Hobbyists

What about proposing them to send you a free Surface Pro and allowing them in exchange to let them use NARS2000 for Surface demos, or even to make a YouTube video of NARS2000 on Surface for them (I can do the video if you want) ? For anybody who happened to ever program in APL, I am pretty sure it would be a strong incentive to buy a Surface rather than an Android tablet : TRYAPL2 is available on Android, but old text mode is rather unpleasant.
FDA OSInet

Return to Entering APL Characters