System unresponsive after SYMBOL TABLE FULL

If we don't know about 'em, we can't fix 'em.

System unresponsive after SYMBOL TABLE FULL

PostPosted by ItzRav » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:36 pm

Using version 0.5.2.0. If you fill up the symbol table, then attempt one more thing that tries to add to the symbol table, the system becomes unresponsive. Oddly, only certain numbers and char strings caused this to happen, so enter the following exactly to produce the problem.

Code: Select all
      ⍴{⍵}¨⍳1e6
SYMBOL TABLE FULL
      ⍴{⍵}¨⍳1e6
       ∧

1234567890 'this'
SYMBOL TABLE FULL
      1234567890 'this'
                 ∧

At this point, there is no response if you enter anything or just press Enter. The system no longer responds.
ItzRav

Re: System unresponsive after SYMBOL TABLE FULL

PostPosted by forummaster » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:11 pm

ItzRav wrote:Using version 0.5.2.0. If you fill up the symbol table, then attempt one more thing that tries to add to the symbol table, the system becomes unresponsive. Oddly, only certain numbers and char strings caused this to happen, so enter the following exactly to produce the problem.

Code: Select all
      ⍴{⍵}¨⍳1e6
SYMBOL TABLE FULL
      ⍴{⍵}¨⍳1e6
       ∧

1234567890 'this'
SYMBOL TABLE FULL
      1234567890 'this'
                 ∧

At this point, there is no response if you enter anything or just press Enter. The system no longer responds.

Sorry for the trouble. As it turns out, I can duplicate the two error messages, but not the lock up on my systems running either the 32- or 64-bit version, but that's not the point.

I am already aware that under certain circumstances it's possible to generate SYMBOL TABLE FULL messages, so there's no need to tell me about other circumstances. Instead, let's focus on the immediately available solution of the command line switches: in conjunction with )SYMB, use the command line switches of -symtabsize=NNN and -hshtabsize=NNN to increase the size of those tables. The command line switches are in units of 1024 entries. The default values are both 256.

Also, please include in your bug report the value of ⎕SYSVER. That way I know not only the version number but also whether you are running the 32- or 64-bit version.
forummaster

PostPosted by ItzRav » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:38 am

Sorry, ⎕SYSVER is 0.5.2.0 Sun Mar 19 01:50:22 2017 Win/64. Glad to know there's a way to increase the symbol table size when needed. Mainly I wanted to report an edge condition, which I have found can sometimes be symptomatic of a larger underlying problem, though of course sometimes not.

Perhaps the lock up depends on something different in my environment. Amount of memory available, perhaps? My ⎕WA in a clear ws is 44399034368. Also I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise SP1.
ItzRav

PostPosted by forummaster » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:46 pm

Thanks for the bug report. It should be fixed in the latest Alpha version:

http://www.nars2000.org/download/binaries/alpha/
forummaster

Return to Bug Reports